Oblíbené příspěvky

pondělí 16. května 2011

Epilogue: Pilsen liberation 1945 – 2011

Streets in Pilsen are empty. There are no more American and Czech flags, no more jeeps and veterans of World War 2. I went for a walk with my dog this morning and I saw a wet newspaper (it was raining in the night) – on the first page there was a photo from Liberation Festival. How peculiar and depressive.

Still a melody of a song When the Saints Go Marching In which I heard on Saturday evening in Café Emily in my mind and I am thinking about the days that was so wonderful.

Everything started in 2009 when I met Marion Kirkham. After a meeting with American veterans (it was opened for citizens) I asked him for an autograph. He gave me a card and I sent him an e-mail. He replied and since this time we are friends. We both love dogs and music.

In 2011 I could spend more time with him and I met many nice people during Liberation Festival in Pilsen. Everyone touched my heart. Where to start?

Marion Kirkham who touched my heart

Marion Kirkham is one of the best men I ever met. He still keeps smiling. This year he came with his new wife Vivian (wonderful lady) and his daughter Marilyn. We had a great time and a lot of fun. After the celebration we went to visit Mrs. Zdeňka Sládková who lives in Trhanov. It was a great day. And next day we had a funny adventure with Marilyn when we were searching her old friends in Pilsen.
 
S Marionem a jeho ženou Vivian
Grandson of a great general

When I was watching movie Patton last year I hardly could imagine that I will shake hands with his grandson George Pat Waters. It happened to me. What more, I could asked him for autograph when I was sitting next to him on Friday evening in hotel Central. On Sunday evening when we were saying goodbye he embraced me. Wow!
George Pat Waters
Soldier of 2nd the Infantry Division

I met Earl Ingram two years ago but we didn´t have an opportunity to speak together. He is an interesting person – soldier with very nice and gentle soul. This year I could embraced him and talked to him for a while in George’s house (where he stayed during his sojourn in Pilsen). It took only a few minutes but I will never forget. It is a pity that we didn’t have more time!
Charles Noble a Earl Ingram
Soldier of 16th the Armored Division

George Thompson – he is a great person. When I went to say him goodbye, I told him: I hope to see you next year. He answered: You never know what will happen. George’s son was listening and told me a funny story about his grandfather who had more power in his 80s then him in his 20s. “My father will come again next twenty or thirty years,” he concluded. I think the same!
George Thompson
Nice gentleman in elegant uniform

You can’t overlook him. He wears elegant uniform and he is handsome. Charles Noble, a son of Col Charles H. Noble who is called the Liberator of Pilsen. His name “Noble” is the right name for him.

Young soldier of 97th Infantry Division

John del Santo fought in Tunis, he was in Normandy, in Ardennes, he liberated Pilsen. He was very young when he started to fought in World War 2. John del Santo stayed in army till 1978 and he left it as colonel. He is very nice man and he is still joking. John del Santo never wants to help. I offered him assistance when he was getting into jeep – he refused. I understand it!


Marion and his family left today. I am sitting here a book called 500 Hours to Victory next to me and I am browsing through it. I feel a little bit sadness in my heart. I will never forget days I could spent with these wonderful people and I hope I will meet them next year.

Žádné komentáře:

Okomentovat